As a program, we commit to seeing, listening, integrating, and learning from Black, Indigenous, and People of Color. We will prioritize opportunities that provide space for and amplify diverse voices on issues of climate and justice on campus and in our community. As individuals, we will commit to reflecting on our own biases, educating ourselves and others, and advocating for lasting change. We will be intentional in our push for equity-centered climate action.
The Climate Change Program’s continuing commitments toward racial justice and equity in climate action include:
- Developing a speaker series that honors, acknowledges, and includes the voices of Black, Indigenous, and People of Color.
- Partnering with local educators to support equitable climate change education in St. Louis high schools with a particular focus on supporting historically underserved communities of color.
- Advocating for BIPOC representation in the 2020 Midwest Climate Summit including in speakers, attendees and in content.
- Continuing to examine and deepen our commitments towards antiracist learning and institutional, programmatic and cultural change within the Climate Change Program.
- Annually sharing progress and revised commitments publicly on our website.